This lot are Foundry ACW Zouaves, painted as the 1st Battalion Louisiana Zouaves. I spent just under an hour a figure on these (a bit longer than the Carolingian spearmen, as these have more detail).
If anyone’s interested and will be at the Red Barons show next Saturday, I’m thinking of putting these up for sale in the Bring and Buy.
Next up are 8 Foundry Swedish Great Northern War figures. The project starts.
Actually I used to take around 4 hours per figure, and that did produce better painted figures, but you’d have to go really close to see the differences with these. And in the end, I’m a gamer who paints, not the other way around, so I decided to cut a lot of corners to have them look good on the table but not necessarily ‘in the flesh’.
Tricks I used on these:
- There’s not a single colour on this figures that has more than two layers (in Foundry Paint system terms, I skip the middle layer)
- I use colour combinations I know to be working straight from the bottle / pot, so no mixing
- No agonizing over mistakes
- No eyes
- Some detail is left black undercoated (e.g. the buttons on the side of the gaiters)
- The flag is printed on a color printer and has the main colour painted over to give it a hand painted look